It is necessary for every house to have a central heating system due to the extreme cold weather conditions. When the house is built, the heating system is kept in mind and it is constructed in a manner which conveniently supports the heating system. However, there are certain tips to keep in mind related to the central heating system.
Cleaning a central heating system is very important in order to guarantee its 100% performance. However, cleaning it is not an easy task. Therefore, power flushing a central heating system is the best option.
What is a power flush?
Power flushing is a method used by people to clean their central cleaning systems. It cleans out sludge from central heating system radiators, coils, pipes and heat exchangers. Scale and corrosion could get collected in these parts of the central heating system. The symptoms for the collection of sludge are cold spots on radiators, even after bleeding.
How to power flush the system?
Power flushing is a technical process and it requires complete information before getting carried out. Following are the basic instructions to power flush a central heating system
- If the central heating system is ventilated, cap off the expansion pipe and cold feed. However, if the system is sealed, omit this step.
- Now, the clear flow pump must be connected to the heating system. The water inlet, discharge, and overflow hoses need to be connected to the clear flow pump.
- The radiator valves at the both ends and lock shield valves need to be opened. Set any zone valves to manual position. This will allow the full flow throughout the heating system.
- Now, turn on the clear flow pump. For ten minutes, set the clear flow valves to circulation mode. This should be done for ten minutes and the flow should be reversed through the system regularly.
- One of the clear flow valves must be set into the dump position. This way the dirty water will be disposed of the waste and the water inlet valve will be opened.
- Ensure that the water level stays the same by adjusting the water inlet valve. Continue to discharge the water until the dump water starts looking clear.
- Now, the clear flow pump must be set into circulation mode with full flow throughout the heating system. (the valves at the ends of the radiator must be opened)
- Pour 2.5 litres of power flush fx2 flushing chemical (or 500ml of HyperFlush Concentrate) by removing the tank cap of clearflow tank.
- Switch on the boiler to heat the water at 50 degrees celsius, if possible. However, to leave the boiler firing continuously is not important.
- The process of circulating the chemical should be continued for fifteen minutes so that it gets distributed properly, while the flow is reversed regularly.
- Now, all the radiator valves must be shut except the one nearer to the clear flow pump. Reversing slow regularly, allow the full flow throughout the radiator for 5 minutes.
- Now, shut the first radiator and move on to the second one. Systematically, work around heating system putting full flow throughout every radiator in turn.
- After the circulation is done in the last radiator, switch to dumping on that one radiator. Carry this out until the water starts looking crystal clear.
- Conduct flow reverser and clear flow valves so that it dump with water flow in the opposite direction. Carry this process until the water again starts looking crystal clear.
- Dump on by opening the previous radiator. Do this until the water gets crystal clear. In reverse, work around the system. Turn by turn dumping on the radiators.
- Now, re-open the radiator valves and set the clear flow valves to circulation mode. Restore the circulation through the complete heating system.
- Mix one tube of Neutralizing crystals to clear flow tank if power flush fx2 has been used. Circulate it for 10 minutes. (Omit this step if you used the hyper flush)
- With all the radiator valves completely opened, carry out the final dump procedure. Carry out this process until the dump water gets crystal clear.
- With a pH paper or pH neutral check the neutrality of the dump water. Mix System safe-DM Concentrate corrosion inhibitor to Clear flow tank.
- Before disconnecting the clear flow pump, circulate the mixture for 10 minutes. Bleed air from the radiators and restore the system to its normal operation.
The power flush is now completed! These were the simple basic steps to power flush your central heating system. It could be self-done if you have the basic information about your heating system. However, the steps should be carried out very carefully in order to prevent any mishap. This article provided you with all the basic information related to power flush and its process to clean the heating system.